Wolfpack Press

Short Fiction: The Perfect Family

Amber Bonham, Writer

A young teenage girl, blank-faced and indifferent, walked down the street, keeping an eye on the people walking past her. People skirt around her, startled by her appearance. Her face had a layer of dirt as if it was another layer of skin, her clothes torn and bloody, but that wasn’t why they won’t go near her.

It was her eyes.

Her eyes were this startling blue color, that reminded them of lightning. Her eyes were beautiful, but they held this fierce determination. That was what scared people. Her determination was the same as theirs, to just get through everyday life. Her determination was to survive until the end of the year.

She is aware that at any moment someone could shoot her.

She is aware that at any moment someone could stab her.

She is aware that at any moment she can be killed.

She knows all this, but she still continues on.

She knows she can handle herself just fine. She knows how to fend for herself. She knows how to disarm someone. She knows how to run when things get bad.

She sure wishes that she didn’t need to know all that. She wishes that she can be with her mom again. She wishes that her mom listened to her when she said “Mommy, he is going to separate us.” She wishes she never had to feel that she was unsafe when she was with her step-father. She wishes she had never disappeared.

When she disappeared, they were given “thoughts and prayers.” Not her, her family.  When she disappeared, they were given T.V time while she had to suffer all by herself. When she disappeared, they were given another chance at a “perfect family.” When she disappeared, she never thought she would be strong enough to survive on her own. She never knew she could survive the torture she went through, but she did.

It pains her everytime she looks on the T.Vs in the cafes or supermarkets and see the stories about schools being attacked. It pains her even more knowing that she can’t do anything about it.

After all, she is just a homeless foreign teenager. She can’t do anything to help those kids, because she is just a homeless foreign teenager. There is so much she can do to help others in this country, but she can’t, because she is just a homeless foreign teenager. It defines what she is, but it isn’t who she is.

She isn’t just a homeless foreign teenager. She’s barely even a teenager anymore. She’s an adult, has been for years, but only now being recognized for it. Sure, she can’t speak perfect English, but she can speak it better than most English-speakers in America. Her English is accented with Korean, slightly broken, but whole.

“Wait, so how did you get to America?” they would ask.

“That’s a good question.” she would reply.

Truthfully, she doesn’t understand how she was shipped to America without people noticing. All she knows is that one day she was in Gwacheon, South Korea, and the next she was in a rural part of North Dakota.

Now she is back to her roots, walking calmly to where her brothers will be.

Currently, the redhead is walking to a park where her brothers are hanging out with some friends of theirs. They know she is coming, and so does her mom, but she had to work. The girl is walking with urgency, remembering how long it has been since she has last seen her family.

It has been fifteen years since she has even spoken to her brothers.

The last memory that she has of them was her trying to grab her older brother’s hand before she was pulled into the van. Her step-father pulled her older brother back before he could grab her.

As she remembered that, she started to pick up the pace in her walk. Soon she started to see and hear where her brothers were. As if everything was in slow motion, they turned around and saw her walking over to them. She was still a mess from helping the government to take down an organization known for doing the same thing that happened to her. Her older brother started to cry, being the sensitive guy that he is, and sprinted over to her. Her other brother, her twin, froze in place. He couldn’t believe his eyes, his sister was alive. Both of her brothers were soon hugging her happily, ignoring how much of a mess she was. The siblings got caught up, until one of them asked the question she has been dreading.

“What happened?”

She hesitated, not wanting them to know the truth yet. She didn’t want to hurt her family anymore than she already had, but she had no choice but to tell them.

“Our step-father sold me off after I found out that he was cheating on Mom.”

“There is no way he would ever cheat on Mom, right?”

“I thought the same thing too, but I guess we were all wrong. He wants a perfect family, and I guess ours isn’t good enough for him.”

The boys stayed silence, digesting the information. They didn’t know what to think or what to say to her. They had a million questions in their head, but they knew one thing.

He was going to pay.

He destroyed their family.

So we will destroy him.

The student news site of South Fort Myers High School
Short Fiction: The Perfect Family